Sunday, 5 November 2017

Week 18: ending 4 November Starting to shape up!

What a difference some tiling makes! 

The bathrooms are just about done, tiling-wise.  The kitchen & vanity bench tops are in, and the splashbacks done; and the external tiling done on the al fresco area.  All plastic wrapped to protect the tiles till after the painters do their thing.  And they are due en masse next week.

A few more photos this week:  firstly the kitchen

Cook-top bench

A bit of detail

The butler's pantry/utility room:

Our ensuite:

A mirror & paint... and a bath-tub will make all the difference

Shower seat for the oldies

The bathroom:

The alfresco:

Downpipes going in... Craig the plumber putting in on Saturday morning.

The boss, getting a swim at last, and making friends with some neighbours!

Hurry up... time to swim

High tide & sticks & kids = FUN

Week 17: ending 27 October Enclosed & tiling

Not lots to show this week.  We were officially "enclosed" or "lock-up", on Monday 23 October. 

Ray ventured down to mark out concreting areas for the hot water system, air conditioning unit & garden shed.... and the trailer.  Nor many pictures.... the tiler is busy inside so will be more to see next week we hope.

Monday, 23 October 2017

Week 15: ending 20 October - nearly enclosed

It seems like it hasn't stopped raining in south-east Queensland since Ray & I started painting the brick walls.  Murphy's Law!  We will finish it, before too long we hope.

This week saw more rain, but enough fine weather that the carpenters could get cracking with the cladding and finishing up the internal carpentry as well.  So as of 20/10
  • kitchen is done as much as it can for now, with the range hood installed
  • dining bench seat is finished
  • the cladding is almost finished
  • the pendant lights for the kitchen & dining room have arrived, and the vanity lights have been ordered & dispatched.   Yes!!!
Cladding nearly done

Last of the gables underway
Kitchen taking shape
A dishwasher will go here ..... soon! 
Utility/butler's pantry

Getting a feel for the end result

The dining bench seat

The tiler is booked to start on 24/10, and the painters are booked for 1/11.  Here's hoping!

Ready for the floors & walls

Saturday, 14 October 2017

Week 14: ending 13 October - More carpentry, wet area work, kitchen starts & gables

The apprentice painters (aka R&R) managed to get another 12 or so litres of paint on the back walls on Sunday 8 October.  Not quite finished after 7 hours toil, but the painters were knackered.

Outside, the gables have started

Inside, the kitchen and bathroom cabinetry has started, and Ray visited to have a look at the inside progress....and take some photos.


And the bathrooms are getting on:

Week 13: ending 6 October - External rendering & internal carpentry

The renderers were at Sandy Cove this week; excellent job they have done too.

Inside, the bathrooms are being prepared for tiling and the wardrobe maker has been to measure up.  The carpenters continued with internal work....

Three coats on the western wall

And the apprentice painters returned... site foreman still very bored & looking longingly towards the water.... where he'd rather be.

Week 12 ending 29/9 & Queen's Birthday Long weekend

Internal works continued, with the carpenters arriving and starting door frames etc.

The garage door arrived too, so essentially the house is secure - as secure as plasterboard, insulation and sarking can be.  Until the cladding is added to those areas, its not officially "lock-up" stage.  So no internal pictures, as we didn't visit during working hours when any of the tradesmen were around. 

But we did start on our painting project - painting the neighbour-facing northern & western walls of the house. Despite the 34 degree heat on Saturday, we did make good progress until the rain came in on Sunday afternoon, & that put paid to any more painting on the long weekend.

The colour is Half Limed White. 


Site foreman

Two coats on the western wall

As far as we got with the rain fast closing in

Week 11: ending 22 September - internal & external works continue

Work continued on the plasterboard...

and outside with the bricks.