Saturday, January 19, 2013

January Project No 2 done






Another week has flown by, and, despite horrendous hours at work this week, I have completed my January No 2 project.  It was only some blocks, but its done.

I've made 6 star blocks for Di's quilt for her grand-daughter Stella.


This was my first attempt at Maverick stars; probably something I will make with scraps when I've finished all my WIPs.  Di provided lots of fabrics for her blocks, so I opted not to make them "scrappy" (the outer two on the upper row, and the middle one on the bottom row.) 

Stella was born under the star sign Cancer, hence the middle star on the upper row.  It has a little panel pices of the crab in the middle of a (poorly) foundation pieced star.  The outer two on the bottom row were done so I could play a bit with stitches on my "new" machine.  "New" as I bought it in October 2011, and it really hasn't had much of a workout yet - due to 2012 being such a terrible year production-wise for me - so I'm still trying to learn about what it can do. 

Anyway, the yellow star has a little star-stitch to anchor it down, and the pink stars are blanket-stitched with a metallic thread. I'm pleased with the results, though the metallic thread did break a couple of times.  Did have a metallic needle in use, and dropped the tension on the bobbin.  

Hope Di likes them, and Stella too.... when the quilt is done. 

I'm inspired to get onto Project #3 so I've just set up the sewing room for quilting now. I've chosen the "A" block on my Merry Christmas quilt to work on in January.  The leg extensions have been removed from my cutting table, so its down to usual table height.  The machine has now been moved onto the table & the quilting extension put in place, threaded it up with the appropriate thread, so I'm raring to go. 

Will get photos ready for my next post.  Before & afters....

1 comment: